RE: Bone Scan

Modern bone-seeking radiopharmaceuticals used in nuclear medicine are
calcium analogs and clear the body principally via the urine with about half
the injected dose excreted in the first 3 hrs after injection. The rest is
incorporated into the bone matrix and turns over only very slowly. The
radionuclide is Tc-99m (6 hr half-life, 140 keV gamma-ray and some low
abundance/energy conversion electrons, Auger electrons, and soft x-rays
which contribute little to the dose). External exposure rates are hard to
predict because they depend a lot on body size and shape, etc. Generally, no
precautions are advised regarding contact with family members or others. The
best thing to do is hydrate well right after the injection to help urine
clearance, and void frequently.

Hope that helps.

David L. North, Sc.M. DABR
Associate Physicist