Re: Alpha shielding in "Masslin"

in the early 1980's at Oyster Creek we performed smear removal efficiency
tests to measure the actual removal efficiency using coin smears on fuel
shipping casks.  The removal efficiency averaged 10% as I recall and varied
widely.  Technicians had to be trained to apply the correct amount of
pressure, use 3 fingers, use a 100 cm-2 cardboard template etc.  The surface
being smeared can result in removal efficiency as low as 1% on rough porous
surfaces to as high as 30% on mirror like surfaces.

I did some tests using masslin brooms in the 1960"s on waxed linoleum floor
surfaces between hot cells.  The maximum activity is NOT collected on a
Masslin broom.  The masslin broom tends to smear and pick up an average
removable activity.  That is why the shipping regulations require 100cm-2
smears averaged over no more than 1m-2.  Masslin mops contain an oily film
which can easily shield alpha particles.

Doug Turner,DTu7266800@aol.com>