Re: Unsafe High School Science Project

Lew,
I too made an X-ray machine with a radio tube and model T spark coil for my
high school project ( and received an A) in the mid 1950's in Northern
California.  I found the plans in an old Popular Science Magazine.  I did
cask a lead shield (which was far more hazardous than the radiation).  I
radiographed a necklace chain.

I remember that the photography shop where I purchased the plate film didn't
want to develop the film because they were afraid it would fog the other
customers' film from "residual radiation".  I had quite a time convincing an
adult that the film itself wasn't radioactive.  That summer I won a science
scholarship to Humboldt State and met someone who knew a "professional" in
the field of health physics.  She sent me a couple of film badges which I
exposed and returned to her for processing.  I don't remeber the exposure
rate but it was miniscule.

I wonder if my exuberance was suppressed back then if I would ever have
persued a career in health physics that resulted in being the RPM for 2
Nuclear power plants, and the RSO for 3 state licenses.

Regards,

Doug