NOVA / FRONTLINE

    Did you see the broadcast on T.V. last night.  It was all about
carbon dioxide building up in the Earth's atmosphere.  The program had
hard data that suggested the increase in carbon dioxide will produce the
green house effect, thus warming the Earth and causing many adverse
conditions.  The question of what produced the increase was the major
topic.  Data from many sources, suggested it all started to increase the
same time as the industrial revolution.  Everyone seemed to agree on
that point, except guess who?  That's right the coal and oil industry.
The industry people were actually qouted as saying the increase in
carbon dioxide is great for the planet because it helps plants grow
faster and more healthier.  I agree it does, but not over the long
haul.  The carbon cylce of the Earth is being altered and plants simply
can not contain all the carbon from all the burning coal and oil.
    The interviews of these industry spokes persons reminded me of the
tobacco industry hearings before congress.  Deny, deny, deny, then pay
money but never say your sorry.  If we don't get our act together and
use cleaner energy sources than I'm going back to my home planet!

Jeff Hoffman

HoffmanJ@DTEEnergy.Com