RE: Decay-In-Storage

> If what Sandy say's is true than why are the regulatory folks
> requiring 10 half-lives AND non-detectable?  It's a license
> condition I must adhere to and document.

The 10 half-life rule is in 10 CFR 35.92 along with less than 65 day
requirement (this is for medical use).  In the proposed revision the 10
half-life part is being removed and the 65 days is getting increased to 120.
Once this is in the regulations you should be able to request an amendment
to remove the license condition to store for 10 half-lives even if it is not
for medical use.  Our license currently lets us use a less than 120 day
requirement (they even suggested it to me), but said that they would not go
greater than 120 days.
Daniel J. Miron, Radiation Safety Officer (00S)
dan.miron@med.va.gov