Decay in Storage

Folks,

Forgive me if someone has already mentioned this, but I had recently assembled some references that might shed some additional light on the subject. . . .

10 CFR 20.2001(a)(2) permits the practice, but the NRC seems to have intended this to apply only to short-lived isotopes, and it appears that it never intended industrial or reactor facilities to utilize this approach

(See discussion at:     http://www.nrc.gov/NRC/NMSS/HP/QA/q&a376.txt
                        http://www.nrc.gov/NRC/NMSS/HP/QA/q&a389.txt.
)

I don’t know of any Federal regulation that describes this process, except for medical applications (10 CFR 35.92).  This section of CFR doesn’t apply to industrial operations.  I assume that one could get a license amendment permitting this approach, but it doesn't seem to be provided for in the regulations as a universal "permission to utilize."

Perhaps someone in the NRC could clarify the policy?

Jim Barnes, CHP
Radiation Safety Officer
Rocketdyne/Boeing
james.g.barnes@att.net