RE: Decay in Storage

Clayton Bradt

Thanks.

What I wanted was an answer and to get our inspector off the hook
with the radwaste staff (who kept asking him to explain our license
requirements). Your response may be criticized because it exemplifies
a very cautious approach to dealing with small quantities of
materials; however, it does give me a very good answer to the
question that we asked. Therefore, I want to express my thanks for
your explanation.

As to the second part

>consider the licensees for which DIS is an option: mostly small medical =
>and research facilities. Generally these licensees are  unsophisticated =
>in health physics. Most are pretty small operations with RSOs who are =
>not HPs and whose primary responsibility is not managing the radiation =
control program.=20

I agree with this concern and have seen some strange ideas of the
requirements from non-HPs about rad issues for small programs.
However, we are a Broadscope type "A" licensee with several
professional HPs and years of experience. All of the licensed sites
in the University of California system have professional HP staff.
Since our licenses are individually written and approved, it would
appear that some consideration of the differences between small and
large programs could be made.  Again, I have not tried to force a
decision on this. Nor, to my knowledge, has anyone else. I have found
the California DHS staff to be reasonable and professional. Perhaps
their rationale is the same as you stated for NYS Dept. of Labor.

We need to remember that the person who did the initial survey and
decided to place this short half life material into a radwaste
container for DIS was more than likely (in our case) a graduate
student and not an HP.

Paul Lavely <lavelyp@uclink4.berkeley.edu> UC Berkeley