Legality, Reason and Risk in Making Recommendations

I have been considering the place of legality, reasonable control and risk in making recommendations. After some thought, I came up with these statements that reflect the rules I try to follow:

1) All recommendations need to comply with the rule of law or a reasonable level of protection, whichever is stricter.

2) Lobbying for change in a law to bring it into line with what is reasonable is a separate issue and needs to be kept that way.

3) Suggesting noncompliance, including alluding to a low risk of being caught or an "unwritten" exception, is unacceptable.

Rick Edwards, Analyst
The Boeing Company
richard.w.edwards@boeing.com