Re: TENORM

I have the data on coal ash.  I am concerned on the EPA's procurement guidelines for concrete and cement that encourage the purchase of cement and concrete containing coal ash or granulated blast furnace slag.  Many years in the early 1980's ago outside of Marrietta Ohio I came across slag that had about 8 pCi/gm of Ra-226 in it.  I was involved in decommissioning another nearby facility and had my microR meter on while driving down a dirt road.  I measured about 35 microR/hr over the piles.  I just cannot find taboulated data on slag like I can coal ash.  Some coal ash has U anf Th levels high enough to require a license.

>>> "Zack Clayton" <zack.clayton@epa.state.oh.us> 4/20/2000 8:08:48 AM >>>
Carl - don't neglect to consider the TENORM content in coal ash, and the consumer products that it shows up in.   Hmm - "cinder" blocks for your basement walls anyone?

Zack Clayton
Ohio EPA - DERR
email:  zack.clayton@epa.state.oh.us
voice:  614-644-3066