Re: TENORM

As duty officer here at Ohio EPA we used to get spill reports of slag from furnaces.  It is not just the TENORM component that worries us.  Fresh slag has an incredible witches brew of soluble heavy metals.   15 or 20 years ago one company gave out slag to a construction company for back fill and we got calls from the new home owners complaining about green corrosive goo seeping out of the ground where it was used.  At that time Emergency Response wasn't looking for NORM or TENORM in stuff like this because we didn't realize it would be there.

If you are interested in seeing the old reports they can be requested from the Emergency Response Unit of Ohio EPA, DERR       -       FAX at 614-644-3250  Attn: Cindy Lewis

She's gonna kill me.

Zack Clayton
Ohio EPA - DERR
email:  zack.clayton@epa.state.oh.us