Re: Contributions to the historical record

>biological responses can only potentially be beneficial, including
>consistency with the role of stimulating immune responses that are being
>applied in various modalities to successfully treat cancer.

I have some difficulty accepting the positive effect as it is known that
point mutations just accumulate as we get older. I wouldn't want to speed up
that process (with priming doses) which means that my genome is destroyed at
a faster pace. Also, a priming dose (chemical or physical) for instance must
be put into perspective: What are the levels? Say that some protective
aspect is found - do we then need a priming doses every third day or so? The
probability for say a dangerous translocation (such as a promotor of an
active gene being moved to the promotor region of a cell proliferation gene
that should be shut down) to occur must reasonably increase in relation to
dose.

Point mutations can be beneficial for a population (for adaption &
evolution) but for the individual I would still put a question mark because
of the sequence DSB->chromosomal aberration->mutation/cancer/cell death (OK,
I know about apoptosis).

Just my own thoughts,

Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com