Re: Nova/Frontline

>how long would the reserves of uranium last if we were
>to extract energy at the rate of ten terawatts [which equals the current
>total energy consumption of all humankind]?  Well, it turns out that you
only
>have about ten years of U-235 power from all of the cost-effective uranium
>reserves."

>Unless we go with breeders, it sounds like nuclear is at best a short-term
>solution.  And, considering how long it takes to build even one nuclear
>plant, it's probably not even that.

It would appear that the major flaw in the nuclear method of power
production is that it cannot provide the entire world all the power it needs
forever. Well, I don't recell EVER heariing anyone claim it could. But if
you regard this as a legitimate criticism, then I assume you wish to apply
it fairly, and since no other method of production can produce that much
power by itself, I assume you are advocating the abandonment of electricity
altogether. But if that's true, how can you be using a computer?

The Nova show seemed to take an approximately fair view of the various
technologies and examined most of the realistic advantages and disadvantages
of each. But, it was disappointing to see them conclude that nuclear isn't
the answer because there isn't enough uranium readily available to meet the
10 terawatt demand that's expected to grow to 30 terawatts over the coming
century. They didn't apply this critique to any other method of producing
power (other than to show a Greenpeace spokesperson claim that wind power
could do it all, overlooking the general lack of wind during the coldest and
warmest weather). Also, they were silent on the waste produced in the
manufacture of solar voltaics, but of course were clear about the problems
(mostly political) of radwaste storage.