Re: Nova/Frontline

Glenn Carlson wrote:
> According to the program (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/warming/beyond/), "If we
> look at the estimates of the available uranium ore around the world, at cost
> effective prices, and we ask the question, if we were to burn it in
> light-water reactors (conventional nuclear reactors used in the United States
> and Western Europe), how long would the reserves of uranium last if we were
> to extract energy at the rate of ten terawatts [which equals the current
> total energy consumption of all humankind]?  Well, it turns out that you only
> have about ten years of U-235 power from all of the cost-effective uranium
> reserves."

Seriously: I wonder if this takes into account the enriched U in storage
as bombs and bomb-grade materials that could be down-blended into the
appropriate enrichment for reactor fuel.  It seems to me that the double
benefit of disposing of this potential for nuclear conflict as well as
producing emission-free energy should be considered.  Certainly the
energy needed to enrich the uranium has already been expended in the
case of weapons materials, also.

and Ruth Weiner wrote:
> Which brings me to an absolutely and truly heretical response to global
> warming: namely, SO WHAT?  So the climate changes.

Not so seriously: I've always thought the Dutch could branch out in a
big way (they'd probably have to) --> DIKES R US.  And the ruins of the
beachfront condos would make great artificial reefs.

All opinions expressed are my own.

Regards,
Susan