Re: Nova/Frontline

Consider the following critique of biomass from the PBS/Frontline web site.
Did you even watch the program?

"To make renewables cost-effective, though, you need to use a lot of land.

Yes, overcoming the low-density problem brings up inevitable land-use issues.
 Let me give you an example. Say that by 2050 you wanted to supply ten
terawatts of power -- or ten trillion watts, which equals the current total
energy consumption of all humankind -- and you wanted to do it with biomass
energy. You would need an area equal approximately to 10 percent of the
Earth's land surface area. That's equal to all the land that's used in human
agriculture right now. If you needed 30 terawatts generated by biomass, you
would need three times as much land.

So you can imagine a world where the only things on the planet would be human
beings and wheat, and we would eat the wheat and we would use the wheat to
make alcohol for our vehicles. But no other biological diversity would exist,
because we would have appropriated all of the land surfaces to do that.
That's the kind of issue that you have to deal with when you seriously talk
about stabilizing carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. "

Glenn A. Carlson, P.E.
glennacarlson@aol.com

In a message dated 4/20/2000 10:37:05 AM Central Daylight Time,