RE: DOE Cites Argonne LabSubcontractor for Nuclear Safety Violati

> On my previous post, I suggested that regulators consider issuing a Notice
> of Praise (or whatever they want to call it).

This may be a good idea, but I'll present a "negative" view, for
dialogue sake.

(1) At FPL there was a suggestion program. The idea was to involve
all employees in the TQM process, and to reward those with the best
suggestions compensation incentives. While this is a good idea, a
contrary position could be made as follows ...

(2) Employees are expected to do what is best for the organization.
The organization provides compensation for the work performed, with
appropriate benefits such as 401K, retirement, sick time allowance,
holidays, etc.....

(3) In my opinion, it is incumbent upon all employees to suggest ways
to improve their job and over-all productivity by discussing with
their supervision. This should be done periodically, and at minimum,
during the annual appraisal process. In other words, the suggestions
should be discussed, and the need for compensation in providing the
suggestions, is unnecessary, and contrary to a good working
relationship. The implication is I'll do only so much, and no more,
unless you provide me with more benefits.

(4) It is even more important for management to assess ways to
improve their work environment and productivity. Isn't that what they
are paid to do in the first place?

(5) The best incentive for an employee to want to work harder is for
their management to respect and acknowledge their work ethics. It has
been demonstrated that $$ is not the prime motivator of an employee,
but continual recognition by their peers and management.

So, in conclusion, I don't think there needs to be praise for any
organization for doing what they should be doing. In this case,
stopping theft is an obvious. The building manager was doing his job.
If he didn't, and knew that there was theft, the alternative should
have been termination.

Just some idle thoughts on this Thursday (my Friday).

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205