Re: Decay-In-Storage

The term "ten half lives" is misleading and in fact counterproductive. I
don't know if any of you all out there has had a researcher trash
radioactive residue or throw stuff down the drain because they claim that
they stored the material for ten half lives and were told(not by our
radsafe poeple) that they could indiscriminatly discard the material
without record. They had to be re-educated. I think we should urge the
regulators to discard this dysfunctional term from all regulatory
literature. It has no justification for DIS application.

Tom Harrison, Ph.D.
RSO
University of North Texas
Denton, TX