RE: I-131 therapy capsules

There may not be an intellectually valid reason, but there is a practical
one: it is possible for some I-131 to find its way onto the vials containing
capsules or liquid during the manufacturing process. An impromptu survey
yesterday of ten plastic vials that had contained I-131 therapeutically
administered to patients revealed the following: two vials had contained
liquid, both were contaminated externally; eight vials had contained only
capsules, two were contaminated externally. In all cases the removable
quantity of I-131 was slight, but the I-131 photopeak at 364.5 keV was
positively identified on our Genie 2000 MCA. I would further venture that
most, if not all, of the capsule vials were internally contaminated as well.
When the routine post-administration assay of the "empty" vial is done, we
always see a few mCi of remaining activity. Perhaps that remainder is
adsorbed onto the little dessicant packet that accompanies the capsules, but
it's in there.

David L. North, Sc.M. DABR
Associate Physicist
Department of Medical Physics