RE: Notice of Praise.

Sandy,

Whenever there is a STRONG PUSH, bean counters and others will figure out
some way to accomplish the objective that doesn't really address the goal.

Example from military classes.  Drill Sergeant are evaluated on % completion
of basic training.  But early departures as unsuited [general discharge],
medical, or desertion are not held against their record.  The evaluation of
the system that the military had done showed an informal selection of
marginal recruits for intense pressure and harassment during the first 2
weeks to shake out the ones that were likely to fail later.  The goal was
increased completion but it was circumvented by drill sergeants motivated to
get good evaluations and the actual result was to drive people out quickly
and even some that would probably been able to complete basic.

Practically any program can and will be subverted to a degree.  People will
always find a way to look good.  Too strong a push will often, as above,
produce the opposite results than what is desired.

WRT a manager stopping a theft.  Yes it's part of his job but I would
suspect if he hadn't done it and the theft had taken place, he couldn't have
been criticized or even identified as having had an opportunity to stop it.
Yet the facility might well have taken some bad publicity and in that case I
would say yeah, give him an incentive award.

The best use I ever saw was by a former Associate Director here.  JCAHO [the
people that accredit hospitals] questioned a house keeping employee on
infection control.  As the AD put it the house keeper was not exceptionally
articulate, but he remembered the essentials he was supposed to and the card
we all carry with info on it, and "...did us proud" under trying
circumstances.  The AD had a bonus of $50 given to the house keeper as soon
as the JCAHO people were out of sight.