Disposal of Smoke Detectors

Our institution may be replacing a large number of smoke detectors
(thousands). I know the first option is to return them to the manufacturer,
but I have been told that some of the manufacturers may be out of business.
I am looking for options on how to deal with disposing of these devices
containing Amerecium-241. Any ideas? Vendors can contact me directly.

Chuck Pickering, RSO
University of Southern California
(323) 442-2200
cpickeri@usc.edu