From: Lester Slaback <Lester.Slaback@NIST.GOV>
To: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
Sent: Friday, April 21, 2000 7:51 PM
Subject: 49CFR & IAEA ST-1, comments needed

> To date I only see 5 comments on DoT's request for comments on the
adoption
> of the IAEA ST-1 rules into 49CFR.  There are a number of changes in ST-1
> that should get folks interest.

It is also interesting to mention the IAEA's purpose for this year:

Complete and publish during 2000 the Safety Guide Advisory Material on the
Safe Transport of Radioactive Material, ST-2.

Complete and publish during 2000 the Safety Guide Planning and Preparedness
for Emergency Response to Transport Accidents Involving Radioactive
Materials, ST-3.

> There are also a number of very nice things in ST-1 that make shipments
> more flexible, e.g., the change from a single 2 nCi/g criterion to an
> activity AND a specific activity criteria.

It was recognized that the single exemption level of 70 Bq/g has no dose
basis and that it was unlikely that this level satisfied the primary dose
criteron of 10 microsievert in a year for exemption for all radionuclides. A
set of transport-specific scenarios were developed which reflected various
exposure situations (exposure times, distances, source geometries, etc.).
Based on these scenarios, both activity concentration and total activity
values were calculated which would result in meeting the 10 microsievert per
year value. These transport derived values were comparable to the exemption
values in the BSS and resulted in recommended activity concentrations
ranging from 1 to 10 Exp6 Bq/g.

> End of Friday's sermon.

Amen!

Jose Julio Rozental
joseroze@netvision.net.il
Israel

> Disclaimer:  the above are the personal musings of the author, and do not
> represent any past, present, or future position of NIST, the U.S.
government,