Re: Exempt quantities

NOT AT ALL!

Read the rest of the NMSS Newsletter article that was quoted out of context:

"Although the provisions of 10 CFR 30.18 exempt any person from the requirements for a
license and from the regulations in 10CFR Parts 30-34 and 39 for exempt quantities, other
parts of the Commission's regulations may be applicable to the activities of specific
licensees involving the use of exempt quantities (e.g., certain requirements found in Part
20). For example, because
10 CFR 30.18 is silent regarding specific licensee activities governed by Part 20
regulations, Part 20 is applicable. And, because Part 20 is applicable in determining both
public and occupational doses from unlicensed material as well as licensed materials,
exempt materials must be considered when a licensee calculates such doses.

In summary, a non-licensee possessing radioactive material exempt under 10 CFR 30.18 has no
regulatory obligations.  However, a licensee must take exempt sources into account under
its radiation safety program based on the licensee's
determination of total dose to workers and members of the public pursuant to Part 20. "

Clearly, a licensee who possesses "exempt" sources has requirements for these sources
beyond those imposed on a non-licensee.

It's not about dose it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com