RE: Exempt quantities

Bill Lipton wrote:

>The NRC interprets this otherwise. See HPPOS-190: "... Sections 20.301, 30.14,

>30.18, and 40.13(a) of CFR Title 10 do not authorize waste disposal by transfer of

>exempt quantities of byproduct and/or source materials to persons who do not hold a

>specific NRC license authorizing them to receive it. The health physics position

>was written in the context of 10 CFR 20.301, but it also applies to "new" 10 CFR

>20.2001..."

I think the miscommunication here is due to the use of the term "exempt quantity". In order to be obtained as "exempt" under 30.14 or 30.18 and State equivalents, a source or device must be manufactured and distributed under a specific license authorizing same.

A source or quantity of byproduct material cannot become exempt merely by allowing it to decay to below the "exempt quantity" or "exempt concentration" limits as contained in 30.71 Schedule B and 30.70 Schedule A respectively. In other words, a licensee can't hang on to waste or unwanted sources until they decay down to exempt quantities or concentrations and just throw them out.

The Tables of "Exempt Quantities" and "Exempt Concentrations" are commonly misinterpreted by licensees and by regulators as conveying exemption automatically upon quantities below the stated values. This misconception is so pervasive that it has been nearly impossible to eradicate. In fact at one point we had tried changing the titles of these tables in our regs just to avoid this misinterpretation. I believe that the above referenced position was intended to address the same problem.

The quantity or concentration of radioactive material in a source is not what determines whether or not is "exempt". Rather it is the license under which it has been manufactured and distributed which makes it "exempt".
But once it has been authorized by a license to be distributed as "exempt" the person receiving it is exempt from regulation with respect to radiation hazards, including disposal.

Clayton Bradt, CHP <raldrich@nysnet.net>        phone: 518/457-1202
Assoc. Radiophysicist                           fax:      518/485-7406
NYS Dept. of Labor
Radiological Health Unit
Blg.12, Rm 169
State Office Campus