RE: I-131 therapy capsules

Since we are still on the subject of I-131 therapy capsules, I have heard
that there are two reasons why some physicians prefer to administer the
solution:

1.  It is much easier to specify a custom dose

2.  A small spot in the stomach of the patient who gets a capsule can
receive a high dose before and while the capsule is dissolving.  An attempt
to mitigate this dose is usually performed by having the patient drinking a
lot of water.  In contrast, the solution mixes readily with stomach contents.

Also, with regard to thyroid bioassays, what happens if a person involved
with administering the stabilized liquid gets some on his or her
skin?  Will it absorb?  If so, do you feel that a bioassay would then be
needed?

All comments are welcome and I promise not to flame anyone for their
opinion.  Others please follow suit.

Dave Derenzo

At 07:42 AM 04/24/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Does the tech who administers the sample continue with some follow-up on the
>patient?
>
>We had an HP tech visit his mother in the hospital, not a nuclear medicine
>patient.  He came back with I-131 (~100 mREM CDE).  Yes, less than 10% of
>the limit (50 REM) requiring monitoring, but throw a few of these into the
>mix and some #s begin to add up.
>
>One needs to look at the annual picture when deciding not to monitor.
>
>Matt Williamson
>Indian Point Unit 3
>Williamson.m@nypa.gov <mailto:Williamson.m@nypa.gov>

Dave Derenzo, RSO (dave@uic.edu)
UIC Radiation Safety Section, M/C 932
Phones: Voice (312) 996-1177  Fax: (312) 996-8776