RE: I-131 therapy capsules

The external exposure rates from the patient are usually measured after dose
administration and then again before discharge (at least that's the way we
do it). It seems that what may have happened in the case of your HP tech was
that his mother was admitted to a hospital room which may not have been
adequately decontaminated after it had housed an I-131 therapy patient. I
would suggest you contact the RSO of the hospital in question, especially if
this was a recent incident.

David L. North, Sc.M. DABR
Associate Physicist
Department of Medical Physics