RE: I-131 therapy capsules

Our physicians administer the I-131 dose in liquid form only very rarely,
say to a pediatric patient who doesn't swallow capsules well. A long time
ago, probably before the capsules got better, I remember a case or two when
a patient didn't digest the capsule and it was found in a bedpan the next
day.

Years ago I somehow got a small quantity of liquid I-131 on the skin of my
finger, about 8 mCi. I know that because I stuck my finger into a dose
calibrator in the nuclear medicine department and saw that reading. I
immediately washed my hands very thoroughly with Betadine iodinated surgical
scrub, which is notorious (along with iodinated x-ray contrast media) for
interfering with diagnostic nuclear medicine thyroid exams. A check of my
thyroid the following day revealed no uptake. I'm sure that without the
blocking by the Betadine I would have accumulated some uptake. Stabilized or
not, I-131 is readily absorbed through the skin, so a bioassay is definitely
indicated.

David L. North, Sc.M. DABR
Associate Physicist
Department of Medical Physics