RE: I-131 therapy capsules

Dear David,

Thank you for your answer.  I am pretty sure that you are correct in your
assumption that the material would have been absorbed through the skin had
you not taken some action.  And had you not conducted a bioassay, you might
never have known how effective your decontamination efforts were.

Since stomach contents are acidic, do you think that a significant amount
of I-131 vapor could be released by a burping patient?  If you are
downwind, you might inhale a dose that way.  I guess what I am trying to
say is that there might be some very good reasons for doing thyroid
bioassays, even if stabilized I-131 or I-131 in capsules is
administered.  Can anyone think of other possible but credible exposure
pathways?

Dave Derenzo

At 03:39 PM 04/24/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Our physicians administer the I-131 dose in liquid form only very rarely,
>say to a pediatric patient who doesn't swallow capsules well. A long time
>ago, probably before the capsules got better, I remember a case or two when
>a patient didn't digest the capsule and it was found in a bedpan the next
>day.
>
>Years ago I somehow got a small quantity of liquid I-131 on the skin of my
>finger, about 8 mCi. I know that because I stuck my finger into a dose
>calibrator in the nuclear medicine department and saw that reading. I
>immediately washed my hands very thoroughly with Betadine iodinated surgical
>scrub, which is notorious (along with iodinated x-ray contrast media) for
>interfering with diagnostic nuclear medicine thyroid exams. A check of my
>thyroid the following day revealed no uptake. I'm sure that without the
>blocking by the Betadine I would have accumulated some uptake. Stabilized or
>not, I-131 is readily absorbed through the skin, so a bioassay is definitely
>indicated.
>
>David L. North, Sc.M. DABR
>Associate Physicist
>Department of Medical Physics
>Rhode Island Hospital
>593 Eddy St.
>Providence, RI 02903
>ph: (401)444-5961
>fax: (401)444-4446
>dnorth@lifespan.org

Dave Derenzo, RSO (dave@uic.edu)
UIC Radiation Safety Section, M/C 932
Phones: Voice (312) 996-1177  Fax: (312) 996-8776