Re: Mixed Waste

Not to beat a dead horse,
I agree with Bill, this waste does not appear to be a
listed wasted under RCRA.  You must test for the
ignitability of the waste (characteristic waste,
D001). If the material meets the definition of a
characteristic waste, due to ignitability, it is then
considered a mixed waste until the material is treated
to remove the characteristic that classified it as
mixed (i.e. D001).  The determination of the D001 is
based upon flashpoint and boiling point as defined
within the regulations.

There are several options for toluene as a
characteristic waste.  To remove the characteristic
(D001) you must meet the treatment standards
technologies DEACT and the universal treatment
standards or technologies RORGS or technologies CMBST
(the technology codes are listed in 40 CFR 268.42
Table 1, 1998 version)

If the waste has a characteristic hazardous waste it
would be a mixed waste until the waste stream is
treated to remove the characteristic, leaving
radioactive waste.

Sounds like a pretty big circle and it can be.

The opinions expressed are mine, mine, mine bla, bla

Hans Honerlah
USACE, Baltimore