Background for Rancho Seco Study Comments.

Before I comment I will provide some background so that people can get an
idea where I am coming from.  If you are not interested in this go to the

 I grew up in Lakeport, California, about 60 miles northwest of Sacramento,
and much later spent about ten days at Rancho Seco participating in a
startup inspection for the NRC prior to the plants last run.  I had become
an antinuke in about 1974 and was active until shortly after the Califorinia
antinuclear Proposition 15 failed in 1976.  I am a 1969 graduate of the US
Naval Academy and served aboard USS PLUNGER (electrical officer) until I
left the Navy from Mare Island Naval Shipyard as a conscientious objector in
1973.  After I left the Navy I worked with various antiwar groups for about
a year and assisted the crew of the PLUNGER in initiating an investigation
of personnel practices abourd PLUNGER.  In 1974 I went to work for a major
engineering and construction firm and worked almost exclusively on
non-nuclear projects until I was laid off in 1983.  In 1984, I went to work,
with some misgivings, for the NRC as the resident inspector at the
Davis-Besse plant.  I still financially supported several antinuclear and
environmental groups at that time.  At Davis-Besse I began to notice that
organizations like Critical Mass and UCS made statements that were false,
based on my direct observations.  I was also knowingly asked to commit
perjury by an environmental organization and spoke with an anti-nuclear
activist who knowingly made a false statement in a sworn affidavit.  I then
went to Prairie Island as the resident inspector and Perry as the senior
resident inspector.  I observed more misleading, possibly dishonest,
activity by antinuclear activists and politicians.  I left the NRC in 1998
after enduring some distasteful activities on the part of NRC managers.  So
basically, I am skeptical of everyone, and some folk think I am a bit of a
loose cannon.  I have worked as a contract engineer since then.   Although I
am now pronuclear, I try to maintain an open mind.

Don Kosloff dkosloff@ncweb.com
2910 Main St., Perry OH 44081