Re: Conundrum

>And it is for this very reason that regulation of the DOE needs to be
>changed ASAP, as Congress has debated for so long.

Actually, it goes beyond this. We have the NRC with its regulations about
radiation safety, and DOE with similar but different regulations about
radiation safety, the DOT trying to adopt ICRP 60 neutron quality factors
that are not used in either NRC or DOE regulations, and Clinton vetoing the
radwaste bill not because of issues associated with the site or the
activities planned for it, but because of a jurisdictional squabble over who
gets to say what the design and operating criteria will be, the NRC or the
EPA. These kinds of headaches are going to continue as long as the palace
intrigue and inter-agency turf battles remain more important to these
agencies than the work to be done. The main problem is that no one is in
charge - they all are!
Bob Flood
Dosimetry Group Leader
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center