Sky Shine

I have a question dealing with Sky Shine.

If I know that (AT THE DOSE POINT LOCATION) it takes 1/4 inch of steel to get me to a level I can live with (Steel placed around the detector to determine this), can I shield the source (Like with NORMAL shielding situations) with a 1/4 inch of steel or do I have to shield somewhere after the Compton interaction with the air.  I feel that all the same shielding principles apply and I could shield at the source, but I do not deal with Sky Shine enough to be sure.

You can send information directly to me:

BielaD@wv.doe.gov
716-942-4423

or respond over RADSAFE, this could be interesting data to more then me.

Thanks
Dave Biela