From: Tony Harrison <laharris@smtpgate.dphe.state.co.us>
To: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2000 10:43 AM
Subject: Re: more on Critics Allege Infant Mortality Rate

> I'm not getting the same numbers Mangano did because we're working with
different data sets.  Nevertheless, comparing '85-89 summary data to 1998
data we see:
> Weld Co.  decrease 27.6%
> Larimer Co. decrease 21.5%
> Denver Co. decrease 18%
> Boulder Co. decrease 53%
> All Colorado decrease 27.2%
>
> I bet there's no significant difference between the Weld Co. number and
the Colorarado number.

> Both Mangano and I are presenting "crude" rates.  Infant mortality has
been shown, to everyone's satisfaction, to be highly correlated with mothers
age, income, education and level of prenatal care, factors that will
completely overwhelm any effect from reactor effluents.  This is why
Denver's rate hasn't declined as much as Colorado's, and why Boulder's has
declined more than anybody's.  Without adjustment for these and probably
other factors Mangano's numbers tell us NOTHING.  A crude comparison between
areas where the reactors closed, and areas where they didn't would be more
informative than this mishsmash.

> Tony Harrison, MSPH
> Colo. Dept. of Public Health & Environment
> tony.harrison@state.co.us
> (303)692-3046

> Did they decline faster in the "downwind" counties than they did in other
> counties?  That is the claim.

Anyway,