deja vu

Ron wrote -

> Actually, this
> rather unusual name can be a benefit; when someone asks me what my
> profession is, I (with pride) respond "health physics" and follow up with
> "the science and art of protecting people and the environment from harmful
> effects of radiation".  This usually sparks a discussion of what we do,
and
> is an excellent informal way of educating lay people not only about health
> physics and health physicists, but of radiation hazards in perspective.

As have others, I respect Ron's opinion, and liked Otto's short article.
But I will say that my experience has been the opposite of Ron's.  If I say
the word 'health physics', to a member of "the public" (just meaning
non-scientist, I suppose) or to many scientists, I usually get a baffled
look that requires some explanation.  Often glaze factors approach 0.85
during the explanation, perhaps that's my fault, but then I've often lost
the audience.  I have had much better success here in Brazil - they do not
use the term Health Physics (it does not translate at all well), they say
'radiological protection', which communicates instantly.  So my vote is not
all that strong, but on the side of a change.

As an aside, when we visited Ron's fine area for the 1984 HP midyear, I
remember a really friendly attempt on the part of the hotel staff to welcome
us.  As we came for breakfast one morning, they had a menu of the day
printed up, and at the top, they wrote "Welcome Health and Psychics
Society".  I don't know WHAT they thought we were discussing in our
meetings.

Michael Stabin
Departamento de Energia Nuclear/UFPE
Av. Prof. Luiz Freire, 1000 - Cidade Universitaria
CEP 50740 - 540
Recife - PE
Brazil
Phone 55-81-271-8251 or 8252 or 8253
Fax  55-81-271-8250
E-mail stabin@npd.ufpe.br

"Quantum Mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of"
- Steven Wright