Re: sr-89 and 90

At 11:38 28.04.2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Commenting on the sr-89 and 90 question raised by some postings, I am told by
>Tooth Fairy people that:
>
>> 1. It is impossible to calculate Sr-89 levels in teeth - the half life is
>> only 50 days.

It is correct that Sr-89 cannot be measured in teeth, because it simply is
not there. But as far as I remember Sr-89 was mentioned as a tool to
distinguish between global fallout from the atmospheric nuclear tests in
the environment of a nuclear power plant (in which Sr-89 has decayed since
long) and possible fresh emissions from a nuclear power plant, because
there it would be present. The ways to distinguish between Sr-90 and Sr-89
is another good story in analytical radiochemistry......

There is no contradiction and no reason to argue that.

Franz Schoenhofer
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna
Austria
Tel.: +43-1-495 53 08
Fax.: same number
mobile phone: +43-664-338 0 333
e-mail: schoenho@via.at

Office:
Hofrat Dr. Franz Schoenhofer
Federal Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, Environment and Water Management
Radiation Protection Department (BMLFUW I/8 U)
Radetzkystr. 2
A-1031 Vienna
AUSTRIA

phone: -43-1-71172-4458