Re: RADSAFE digest 3135

The utility that owns each plant is required to submit at least annually a
written report to the NRC with the results of their environmental sampling,
discharges, and local radiation measurements.  These reports are available
at the NRC Local Public Document Room (PDR) for the plant.  NRC inspectors,
sometimes accompanied by state personnel, also inspect utilitiy
implementation of the sampling and measurement programs.  The inspection
reports are also in the PDR.  The NRC TLD Direct Radiation Monitoring
Network was established in 1979 to measure ambient radiation levels around
NRC licensed facilities.  At each monitored facility, several TLD stations
are placed side by side with those of the licensee to allow for independent
verification of the licensee's environmental radiation monitoring program.
The results are published quarterly in NUREG-0837, "NRC TLD Direct Radiation
Monitoring Network".  I have an old issue (October-December 1994) right now.
It includes a map for each site showing where the TLD stations are and what
the quarterly radiation dose was at each.  For example at the Bolton farm
(azimuth 240, 4.4 miles) the dose was 18 mrem.  On Route #9 (azimuth 330,
9.5 miles) the dose was 20 mrem (the highest reading for the monitored
area).  The second highest dose was recorded on the TLD in Newark, DE
(azimuth 319, 18.1 miles).  Most of the readings were between 11 and 16
mrem.  The highest doses reported in the NUREG was 13 miles from Fort St.
Vrain, Colorado at 32 mrem.  The range of recorded doses for the Ft. St.
Vrain monitored area was 25 to 32 mrem.

Did anyone ever ask the state of NJ if they have an annual (or more
frequent) report of their radiation monitoring activities?