Re: RADSAFE digest 3135

The breast cancer stats come from Dr Jay Gould's book "The Enemy Within", surely one
of this list's favorite books. ;) and from a flyer put out by RPHP. ON the flyer,
Gould's quote is"
of the 3000-odd counties in the US, women living in about 1300 nuclear counties
(located within 100 miles of a reactor) are at the greatest risk of dying from
breast cancer." (from pg 187 with map).

INfant mortality claims are all from Mangano's previous work. What I have on hand is
his Salem (NJ) study from June of 1999.

Now, I'm not a cancer expert (among the many things I'm not an expert on). I do
recall reading about the huge increases in breast cancer in this country. I'm sure
you all have the stats. The Tooth people would certainly consider breast cancer as
one of the 'soft tissue' cancers that are
affected by emissions from nuke plants.

peace
norm

--
Coalition for Peace and Justice and the UNPLUG Salem Campaign; 321 Barr Ave.,
Linwood, NJ 08221; 609-601-8537 or 609-601-8583 (8583: fax, answer machine);