Re: background vs man-made emmissions - cancer clusters, etc.

FYI, please find below some recent news stories about research on cancer
clusters.

Furthermore,
> 	Norman & Karen Cohen[SMTP:norco@bellatlantic.net] wrote on Saturday
> April 29, 2000 8:11 PM:
>
> I've also been priviledged to host several Hibakusha (Japanese A-Bomb
> survivors), so I
know from them what long-term doses of radiation does in the form of latent
cancers.
<><><><><><><><>

Comment: A-bomb survivors did NOT experience "long-term doses of radiation"
-- quite the opposite: their entire exposure occured within a small fraction
of a second following the detonation of the A-bombs. This is why their imune
systems were not able to cope with the damage, in order to effect repairs,
as would be the case with chronic exposure to the same total dose. Its also
why such acute exposures are deemed (BEIR) some 2 to 3 times more likely to
cause cancer than chronic exposures. Many others (non-BEIR) believe it makes
the difference between damaging radiation exposures and beneficial, immune
system stimulating radiation exposures (along with an upper bound on total
dose of several tens of rem).
Please note that several Radon radiation spas in Europe & elsewhere are
still quite popular.
Others on this list have also mentioned the Japanese successes in cancer
treatment by low-dose whole-body irradiation for immune system stimulation.

Jaro
frantaj@aecl.ca

> [...]
> Clusters found in areas of 'population mixing'
> Reuters News Agency
> Monday, August 16, 1999
> London -- Childhood leukemia is caused by an infection, and clusters of
> cases around industrial sites are the result of population mixing that
> increases exposure, cancer researchers said on the weekend, citing new
> findings in Britain.
> The research published in the British Journal of Cancer backs up a 1988
> theory that an unidentified infection causes leukemia, and not the
> environmental factors widely blamed for the disease.
> Childhood leukemia appears to be "an unusual result of a common
> infection,"
> said Sir Richard Doll, an internationally known cancer expert who first
> linked tobacco with lung cancer in 1950. "A virus is the most likely
> explanation.
> "You would get an increased risk of it if you suddenly put a lot of people
> from large towns in a rural area, where you might have people who had not
> been exposed to the infection."
> Sir Richard was commenting on the new findings by researchers at Newcastle
> University, which focused on a cluster of leukemia cases around the
> Sellafield nuclear-reprocessing plant in Cumbria in northern England.
> Scientists have been trying to establish why there was more leukemia in
> children around the Sellafield area, but have failed to establish a link
> with radiation or pollution.
> The Newcastle University research by Heather Dickinson and Louise Parker
> showed the cluster of cases could have been predicted because of the
> amount
> of population mixing in the area, as large numbers of construction workers
> and nuclear-plant staff moved into a rural setting.
> "Our study shows that population mixing can account for the [Sellafield]
> leukemia cluster and that all children, whether their parents are incomers
> or locals, are at a higher risk if they are born in an area of high
> population mixing," Ms. Dickinson said in a statement issued by the Cancer
> Research Campaign, which publishes the British Journal of Cancer.
> Their paper adds crucial weight to the 1988 theory put forward by Leo
> Kinlen, a cancer epidemiologist at Oxford University, that said exposure
> a common unidentified infection through population mixing results in the
> disease.
> Mr. Kinlen, commenting on the findings, said the challenge now is "to
> identify the infective agent and at the moment scientists have little idea
> what it could be."
> Sir Richard said an increased risk of childhood leukemia had also been
> noticed during the Second World War in areas where British children were
> moved in large numbers from cities that were being bombed into the
> countryside.
>

> posted at http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/health/newsid_323000/323289.stm
> Monday, April 19, 1999 Published at 23:22 GMT 00:22 UK
BBC Health

NUCLEAR NEWS FLASHES - Friday, August 13, 1999
INTERNATIONAL NEWS:
--RADIATION FROM NUCLEAR FACILITIES IS OFTEN WRONGLY LINKED WITH leukemia
clusters when the real culprit is more commonly migration patterns, said
internationally renowned cancer expert Sir Richard Doll. He discussed his
position in an editorial accompanying a study on the U.K.'s "Seascale
cluster," published in today's British Journal of Cancer. The theory that
some sort of infective agent passed on during "population mixing" causes a
higher risk of childhood lymphoblastic leukemia and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma
was put forward by Professor Leo Kinlen in 1988. Since then, more than 10
scientific papers have been published in support, according to Trevor Hince,
scientific director of the U.K.'s Cancer Research Campaign. The study
published today, by researchers Heather Dickinson and Louise Parker at
Newcastle University, finds the risk correlates with the degree of
population mixing going on in a formerly rural area, and that children are
much more likely to develop one of the two diseases if both their parents
are newcomers.