Re: background vs man-made emmissions

> It seems to me that radiation is not just radiation is some of it gets concentrated in
> different body parts like teeth and bones, or thyroid.

Your interpretation is a bit off, and let me explain. Radionuclides
migrate and accumulate in specific body parts, or, are simply
passed through the body, based on the chemical characteristics,
not because of the radioactive emissions. Iodine is found in the
thyroid, and therefore, when the body has an uptake of I-131 (for
example) it migrates to the thyroid. It is for this specific reason that
I-131 is used for both diagnostic and therapeutic procedures. Sr-90
accumulates in the bone, such as Calcium does. Now, what about
the radiation aspects of this. Each radionuclide decays and emits
specific types of radiation. Each organ is exposed to a specific
amount of radiation based on the type of emission, and obviously
the total dose is based on the time the organ is exposed. The
science is that whether the organ is irradiated from within, due to
internal deposition, or externally, due to whole body irradiation, the
effect on the organ is the same. That is why the industry is
regulated based on total dose, called TEDE (Total Effective Dose
Equivalent)> The total dose from external added to the internal. It
doesn't matter where the dose originated. So, if there is no internal
irradiation, the entire dose is due to external. This is what we are
all exposed to from natural background, terrestrial, internal
radionuclides, etc.

In essence, there is no difference from radiation exposure. The only
difference is from internal deposition, and where the radionuclides
accumulate. The effect though is the same as if the exposure was
due to external sources.
Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
Director, Technical				Extension 2306
ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division		Fax:(714) 668-3149
ICN Biomedicals, Inc.				E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205