RE: background vs man-made emmissions - fallout

Thanks for the information Glenn....

....but I'm very dubious about its veracity.

The doses absorbed by the bombing victims are estimated to have been in the
range of a few hundred rem (depending on location, any shielding effects,
etc. (deaths were due to CONVENTIONAL thermal burns from the light flash and
from building fires, and from other forms of physical trauma, NOT due to ARS
!! ).

Even if all of this exposure were due to neutrons - which it certainly was
not (there was a large gamma constituent) - it would have been very, very
far from sufficient to cause "High levels of residual radiation ...on the
ground...in the
> form of induced radioactivity produced secondarily as a result of the
> nuclear reaction of neutrons."

Trust me, its BS.
We have the recent example of the Tokaimura criticality accident, where the
absorbed doses were about ten times higher than those in Japan (actual
deaths from ARS), yet even there the levels of neutron-induced radioactivity
inside the building were negligible ( escaped airborne radioactivity was due
to vapours issuing from the precipitation tank containing the critical
solution of 20% U235 & FPs ).

Radioactive fallout rain in Japan reportedly occurred, but far outside the
cities, after much dilution.
Any fallout soot from "intense firestorms" would NOT have been radioactive,
for the reasons given above.

Glenn, the quotations you provide look to me like the same sort of
self-delusion that is practiced in the Ukraine and Belarus on account of the
Chernobyl disaster. Its amazing how many people believe THAT nonsence (tens
of thousands dead as a result, etc.). I take it you're NOT one of them ?

Thanks again,

Jaro
frantaj@aecl.ca