RE: Solution to worlds energy problem

> The solution to the worlds energy problems:
>
> 1. Start with reducing consumption.

	This point is not original to me, in fact I think it goes back to
the beginning of the last century: reducing energy consumption by
insulation, increasing efficiency etc. may be a lot more difficult than you
think.  Basically, if a family save money on heating or whatever, the money
they save will be spent on other energy-using activities.  If you get a more
economical car, you're likely to drive it further to make up for it.

	Even if you just stick the  money saved in the bank, that money will
be lent out by the bank for energy-using activities.

	What is the real difference between a "developed" country and a
"developing" one?  Basically it's energy use per head of population.  That's
what  an advanced civilisation IS: a high standard of living MEANS high
energy use.  What we've got to do is shift away from burning fossil fuels
for that energy, and it may be there's going to have to be a fundamental
shift in taxation systems in order to bring that change about.

> 2. Choose which power generating facilities do the most damage to humans
> and to the planet per kilowatt of energy generated.
> 3. Phase out the worst energy producers and build new facilities that do
> the least damage to humans and the planet.
> 4. Start at the top of this list again.
>
> Using this formula I have decided we need more nuclear power stations at
> this time.

	Personal views only

	Regards

	keith.bradshaw@nnc.co.uk