RE: Microwave oven

Michael,

The microwave oven seems like an unlikely source to me.

However, I've carried the square 9-volt batteries in my pocket and have had
them shorted by my keys and get very hot. Is it possible that your neighbor
had keys or coins in her pocket that might have shorted the battery? I don't
know if there is enough energy stored in a D-cell to generate enough heat to
get *very hot*.

The above comments and opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not
intentionally represent the views of any other being, living, dead, or
yet-to-be.

Jerry Falo, Ph.D., CHP
HMJF Professional Associate
Health Physics Program