Re: Solution to worlds energy problem

It's not the taxation of fossil fuels where I dissagree with you. But I doubt
that maximum amount of energy consumtion / person is a scale for high standard
of living! I also doubt that every buck, euro and especially rubel saved by
energy reducing actiones will be spent for other energy-using activities.

"Bradshaw, Keith" schrieb:

> > You are joking, aren't you?!
> >
>         No I'm not!  I repeat, this argument is not my idea, it was put
> forward decades ago and reiterated several times since.  Perhaps it's the
> taxation issue that concerns you.  It concerns me as well, and I think we'd
> all be rightly suspicious of "new taxes".  Higher taxes on fossil fuels
> COUPLED WITH reductions of other taxes, keeping the overall tax burden the
> same or less.  Something like that will have to happen.

> > >         This point is not original to me, in fact I think it goes back
> > > the beginning of the last century: reducing energy consumption by
> > > insulation, increasing efficiency etc. may be a lot more difficult than
> > you
> > > think.  Basically, if a family save money on heating or whatever, the
> > money
> > > they save will be spent on other energy-using activities.  If you get a
> > more
> > > economical car, you're likely to drive it further to make up for it.

Dr. Udo Ch. Gerstmann, Diplom-Chemiker
Institut für Strahlenschutz
GSF - Forschungszentrum für Umwelt und Gesundheit, GmbH
Ingolstaedter Landstrasse 1, D-85764 Neuherberg, Germany
Phone: +49-89-3187-2359, Fax: +49-89-3187-3323
email: gerstmann@gsf.de
www.gsf.de