Microwave oven

Good morning,

I was asked a question by a neighbor who is a high school teacher.  A
colleague, put a D cell battery in her pocket before school.  It may have
been for the recycling bin.  She turned on the microwave oven and felt the
battery get hot.  Could the microwave oven cause the battery to get hot?

I suggested that the battery may have leaked or maybe even keys, or
something else, in her pocket created a short circuit.

Michael Krzesniak
NAVSURFWARCENDIV
Code 6051, B-3059
Crane IN 47525-5001