Re: Critics Allege Infant Mortality Rate

Wether or not low dose and dose rate radiation cause cancer will not be
fully resolved for some time.  However, there are heavily populated places
in the world where populations have been exposed to radiation level well
above current dose limits for radiation workers, and that for hundreds
(thousands) of generations.  If  no detrimental health effect is seen in
these populations,  is there any reason to suspect that fractions of milli
Sieverts are harmful? if so, why? and if not, why?

Info on cancer incidence and infant mortality/morbidity in Kerala, India,
where INDOOR dose rates reach about 70 mSv per year, from birth to death
(life expectancy some 75 years, not different from ours in North America)

for General population:
M. Krishnan Nair et al.  Population study in the high natural background
radiation area in Kerala,India. Radiation Research Vol 152, pp. S145-S148,
1999

for Congenital malformations

G. Jaikrishnan et al.  Genetic monitoring of the human population from
high-level natural radiation areas of Kerala on the Southwest coast of
India. I. Prevalence of congenital malformations in newborns. Radiation
Research Vol 152, pp. S149-S153, 1999

For Chromosomal aberrations in newborns

V. D. Cheryan et al.  Genetic monitoring of the human population from
high-level natural radiation areas of Kerala on the Southwest coast of
India. II. Incidence of numerical and structural chromosomal aberrations in
the lymphocytes of newborns. Radiation Research Vol 152, pp. S154-S158, 1999

Philippe Duport
pduport@home.com