More on baby teeth

> When I think of radioactivity in Florida, I think of radium from
"phosphate lands".  Considering the discussions regarding analytical
techniques, I have to wonder how much of the activity is coming from one
radium isotope or another, or their decay products.

Not likely in the Miami area, mostly western and north-central Florida
areas, as I recall.

It does appear that project organizers are putting out (more) emotionally
charged information before they have had a chance to have the data
critically reviewed, which will probably work to the project's detriment.
What are the uncertainties, both inherent in individual measured values, as
well as in the distributions of measured values?  From comments here on the
list, it looks like the analytical methods may be sound, but the
interpretation of the data will be at best difficult. Jumping to conclusions
in the newspapers will raise people's interest, which might have the
positive temporary effect of generating some funds for independent
scientific groups to do measurements and/or interpret the data, but in the
long term, because of the very sound environmental monitoring programs that
are in place around the plants, the conclusions will most probably be
debunked.  If the Clinton administration sets up a drive through window for
everyone whose child has more than 1.5 pCi/g of Sr-90 in their teeth to pick
up sacks of dollar bills, they will run out pretty soon, I think.

Michael Stabin, PhD, CHP
Departamento de Energia Nuclear/UFPE
Av. Prof. Luiz Freire, 1000 - Cidade Universitaria
CEP 50740 - 540
Recife - PE
Brazil
Phone 55-81-271-8251 or 8252 or 8253
Fax  55-81-271-8250
E-mail stabin@npd.ufpe.br

"Quantum Mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of"
- Steven Wright