"mind set"

Keith wrote:

> I'm actually agreeing with Jim on this.  The late Isaac Asimov wrote
> an article on this.  When you  look at the history of science it's
> unfortunately the case that the old generation has to die off before a
> fundamental shift of mindset occurs within a scientific discipline.

I'm not familiar with this article, but would like to see it - do you have a
reference?  Is there by any chance an e-version somewhere?  I usually think,
for example, of spontaneous generation theory.  Pasteur very effectively
debunked this, in controlled experiments (which are much harder of course in
the LNT case), and changed the mind of the scientific establishment quickly.
There were still hangers-on to the old theory into the early 1900's, but the
grand majority (of which Ruth would clearly be a member!), to my
understanding, accepted the obvious.  That's why I'm more of an optimist
that in science truth will always prevail, and I don't think that a whole
generation has to die out before good theories replace the bad, once the
evidence is there.  Perhaps before every single proponent of the bad
theories shuts up, but not before the prevailing "mind set" changes.

> > > <snip> I would only add that, when presented with sound
> > > evidence contrary to a previously held belief, a scientist will
"change
> > > his or her mind" pretty fast.
> > > Ruth Weiner
> > > ruth_weiner@msn.com
> >
> > Right! Like the LNT!?  HAHAHaHahahahaheehee
> > Keep 'em coming! :-)
> > Mike almost got his out with a straight face too!?
> > Too much mirth in one afternoon.  :-)
> > by Jim Muckerheide <jmuckerheide@delphi.com>

Michael Stabin
Departamento de Energia Nuclear/UFPE
Av. Prof. Luiz Freire, 1000 - Cidade Universitaria
CEP 50740 - 540
Recife - PE
Brazil
Phone 55-81-271-8251 or 8252 or 8253
Fax  55-81-271-8250
E-mail stabin@npd.ufpe.br

"Quantum Mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of"
- Steven Wright