Re: Study: Power Plants, Deaths Linked

I gave the study a superficial reading, and note that the authors themselves
repeat, in quite a few different ways, that the bases of the study are
"hypothetical" and state further that the health effects extrapolations are
based on a "meta-analysis" of several other studies about which I myself
have serious doubts.  They also acknowledge that different models give
different results.

Am I skeptical because I don't think fossil fuel power plant emissions have
adverse health effects?  Absolutely not -- of course these emissions can be
harmful to health if enough is inhaled.   Should these power plants clean up
to the best extent they are technically able?  Of course.   But this study
exemplifies how ready we seem, as a society, to be to invoke "excess deaths"
when these supposed excess deaths are essentially modeled extrapolations.  I
have the same reservations about the conversion of radiation dose to "latent
cancer fatalities" by what is essentially a linear multiplying factor.  Now
we have these factors for airborne particulate matter, apparently.  I also
am always skeptical when a study like this appears in a press release before
it appears in a peer-reviewed journal.

Unlike all this hypothetical death modeling, we do have a pretty good idea
of what ambient concentrations of pollutants produce what effects.  That's
what ambient air standards are based on.  Deaths from breathing a panoply of
stuff that is bad for you occurs in smokers and as a result of occupational
exposure, but to the best of my knowledge (and this is borne out by the
report itself) "deaths" from exposure to relatively small concentrations of
air pollutants are extrapolations.  If it's particulates and nitrogen oxides
that are the problem, how many deaths can one predict from dust mixed with
exhaust from agricultural operations?  I'm going to try that one using the
Harvard study.

Ruth Weiner
ruth_weiner@msn.com