Politics and environmental issues

I recently (i.e., Saturday) attended a political convention during which a large number of resolutions and platform planks regarding environmental issues were proposed. Quite a few of them read something to the effect of:

By the way, I was successful in my request to have these items held over for discussion rather than being approved by a rubber-stamp vote. Unfortunately (or maybe not...depends on your viewpoint), everyone went home before they ran out of things they could agree on without discussion.

I've been wondering if anyone has had any success with moderating positions such as these from "the inside" of a nominally "anti-" group.

Rick Edwards, Analyst
The Boeing Company
richard.w.edwards@boeing.com