Radiation Source and Health Effects

I was reading an interesting paper this morning.

Mortality among the Residents of the Three Mile Island Accident Area:
1979-1992, which will appear in the June 2000 issue of the journal
Environmental Health Perspectives, Volume 108(6) by Evelyn Talbott et al.

http://ehpnet1.niehs.nih.gov/docs/2000/108p545-552talbott/abstract.html

Dr. Talbott and her co-authors are from the University of Pittsburgh's
Graduate School of Public Health.

The second paragraph of the Introduction starts out,

"Although it has been postulated that radiation from a nuclear accident and
natural background radiation exposures act on the biologic system in the same
way (3,4) and that the health effects produced by these types of
radioactivity are indistinguishable, available human data are insufficient to
confirm this hypothesis (5).  In addition, the long-term consequences from
low-dose radiation are clearly of recent concern to the public."

I am interested in others thoughts on the paper.  Please email me directly
at:  mailto:bill-field@uiowa.edu