RE: Plutonium vs Natural Thorium

	OK here's a league table of radiotoxicity by ingestion on a mass
basis:

	Mass for 1 Sv

	U-232    3.8 Microgram
	Pu-238  6.7 Microgram
	Am-241  39.5 Microgram
	Ra-226  97.6 Microgram
	Pu-240   595 Microgram
	Pu-239  1.76 Milligram  (note unit change)
	Th-230  6.38 Milligram
	Th-232  1.075 Kilogram  (yes KILOGRAM)

	In practice, Pu is a mixture of 239,240, 238 and 241 isotopes, with
239 predominant.  Th-230 will probably be accompanied by Th-232 which would
act to dilute the thorium specific activity (even though it comes from the
U-238 decay chain, U containing minerals also contain some  nat-Th).  U-232
is synthetic but again there's probably a few microgram of nat-U in
everyone's daily diet which would dilute the U specific activity.  So the
element with the greatest mass-for-mass toxicity might be said to be
americium, in this way of looking at things.

	Note this is strictly for fun (!!!).  Please do not base anything on
these figures.  Also, I don't pretend to have necessarily found the most
radiotoxic-by-mass nuclide here.  I have not got time.   What you want is
high dose coefficient coupled to short half-life.

	Dose coeffs from IAEA safety series 115 Table II-VI (ingestion,
members of the public).

	Personal views only

	Regards

	keith.bradshaw@nnc.co.uk