Re: radiation is radiation?

Ya know - I think you are all missing the point once again!

The points and counter points are crossing - not connecting!

Not to say that ANYTHING you have said is wrong - you are just not
answering the question or addressing the point the way Norm is
asking/seeing it.  His misunderstandings are at the most fundamental
levels - things we all understand as basic fact - he has been led to
believe is otherwise.  Arguments we find perfectly clear he sees as
totally non responsive.

Norm is coming from a perspective that the short 1/2 life products are
the demons - especially I-131 since it insidiously hides away in the
thyroid and he has been given to believe that the thyroid is
particularly radio sensitve and that I-131 and most other short 1/2
lived isotopes are not found in nature.

Now - I AM ASSUMMING  that they are reasoning that OF COURSE the short
1/2 lived stuff will not be found in bio assays or in surveys because it
all decayed away - and we all KNOW that nukes relase these things only
when nobody is looking.

So - SR-90 - which they also believe is not naturally occuring - is
their marker.  So - if it was there then so were all those demons - they
just did their damage and left.

They also reason that natural background if ONLY from long 1/2 lived
stuff and thus is NOT the stuff that concentrates in particularly
sensitive areas and so cannot be compared.

The synergy - is just a red herring - surely Radiation MUST be the
culprit and if there is NOT enough for it to have an effect by itself -
it MUST be in cahoots with something that would otherwise have no reason
to hurt anyone and by virtue of the added rad becomes evil.

But no matter what - the problem MUST be found to be rad.

So - there will be no convincing or changing of minds - BUT at least our
answers should address his understanding and unless we lay a basis as to
WHY a REM is a REM and address the organ specific issues - we can talk
about background til the cows come home - and it will mean absolutely
nothing to him/them.